Today Billboard announced the release of the Billboard Twitter Real-Time Charts, a new lineup of four interactive charts that will track the most popular songs being shared on Twitter in the U.S.
People on Twitter are passionate about music. Every day, music fans around the world use their favorite music services to send millions of Tweets about what they’re listening to. As we recently announced, Billboard’s one-of-a-kind real-time music charts will serve as a new benchmark for the music industry.
Here’s an overview of the newly-launched charts and how they measure conversation around the most shared tracks on Twitter. You can find the charts on Billboard.com and in print as a weekly Billboard magazine feature.
- Billboard Twitter Trending 140 Chart
- Presented by @McDonalds, this chart summarizes the volume of music conversation about the most shared tracks on Twitter in real time, measured by acceleration over the past hour.
- Billboard Twitter Emerging Artists Chart
- This chart, sponsored by @HollisterCo via a Twitter Amplify partnership, measures the ranking of the most shared songs on Twitter in the U.S. by up-and-coming artists. These are defined as performers with fewer than 50,000 Twitter followers who have not appeared as a lead artist in the top 50 songs on the Billboard Hot 100. The metric reflects the number of times each song was shared over a 24-hour period.
- The Weekly Billboard Twitter Top Tracks Chart - This chart is a weekly ranking of the most shared songs on Twitter in the U.S., listed by the volume of shares over a seven-day period (Monday to Sunday).
- The Weekly Twitter Emerging Artists Chart - This chart offers a weekly ranking of the most shared songs on Twitter in the U.S. by up-and-coming artists, also ranked by the number of shares over a seven-day period (Monday to Sunday).
Real-Time Rewind Complementing today’s release of the Billboard Twitter Real-Time Charts, Billboard will premiere a weekly video dedicated to the Billboard Twitter Trending 140 chart, presented by @McDonalds and distributed via
Complementing today’s release of the Billboard Twitter Real-Time Charts, Billboard will premiere a weekly video dedicated to the Billboard Twitter Trending 140 chart, presented by @McDonalds and distributed viaTwitter’s Amplify program. The weekly video series, called “Real-Time Rewind”, captures the important moments in music each week, noting the artists and songs that sparked movement on the chart. The video series will be available starting next week on Billboard.com and directly on Twitter.
Each real-time chart will provide a snapshot of the top U.S. hits as well as emerging tracks and artists who are moments away from being discovered. When music fans flock to Twitter to discuss music in the moment, they now have the power to influence the Billboard chart and spark discoverability for their favorite artists.