We’re posting key metrics from @TwitterData and @TwitterSports throughout the #WorldCup to illustrate the global viewing party on Twitter. Here’s a snapshot of the @ussoccer vs. @ghanafaofficial conversation, plus some other metrics from the tournament so far.
1. There were more than 4.9 million Tweets during the #GHAvsUSA match
2. There were more than 8.9 million Tweets during the #GERvsPOR match
3. @clint_dempsey’s opening minute goal was the most-tweeted moment
When @clint_dempsey scored in the first minute of the match, fans across the world tweeted about it. Here are the moments that generated the biggest peaks of Twitter conversation of the match, measured in Tweets per minute (TPM):
4. @clint_dempsey was also the most-mentioned player.
During the match, here were the most-mentioned players on Twitter from both squads:
5. Images tell the story
Photos shared on Twitter give you a peek at the global celebration, including through the eyes of fans in Brazil. This photo grid shows how some of the most important moments in the #GHAvsUSA match were reflected in the images shared on Twitter:
6. More than 150 countries joined the conversation
The Twitter conversation related to the match touched nearly every country across the globe. Click the map below to zoom into each country and see how the game played out on Twitter:
Click image above to explore the interactive map.
7. Celebrities flocked to Twitter to support @ussoccer
Before and during the match, athletes, politicians and other celebrities supported the American team: