Today, we launched Trends in 100 more cities around the world, including twelve new UK locations: Belfast, Brighton, Bristol, Cardiff, Edinburgh, Leeds, Leicester, Liverpool, Newcastle, Nottingham, Portsmouth and Sheffield.
In addition to these new cities, you can also see Trends in Birmingham, Glasgow, London, and Manchester.
By viewing Trends in these cities, it’s easier than ever before to find out what’s going on in your area and to get involved in the conversations. You can browse any of these locations by clicking “Change” in the Trends sidebar.
Regional Trends give you a great flavour of what’s happening in different parts of the UK. And if you’re new to Twitter, you might also like to follow some of these Twitter accounts linked to these new Trends cities for inspiration:
- Belfast: Follow @ourbelfastmusic for music events, news and reviews from the city
- Brighton: DJ @FatboySlim lives in Brighton, as does the UK’s only Green Party MP @CarolineLucas
- Bristol: Football fans can follow Bristol Rovers @Official_BRFC and Bristol City @bcfctweets, or for something completely different, try @BristolFutures, Bristol City Council’s economic, green, digital and international group
- Cardiff: Keep up to date with what’s going on at the University with @cardiffuni, or follow singing sensations @Stereophonics
- Edinburgh: Olympic cycling star @ChrisHoy is from the city, and you can also follow the world-famous festival @edinburghfest
- Leeds: Follow @LeedsNews for updates from the Yorkshire Evening News, or former DJ @chrisdjmoyles for celebrity chatter
- Leicester: Keep up to date with community policing with @leicspolice, and if you’re a rugby fan, then the @LeicesterTigers could be up your street
- Liverpool: Both of the city’s major clubs are on Twitter - @LFC and @Everton, and for updates from one of Liverpool’s best known couples, follow @waynerooney and @ColeenRoo
- Newcastle: Geordie duo @antanddec are regulars on Twitter, and you can also follow their beloved @NUFCOfficial on the platform
- Nottingham: Follow @bbcemt for the latest BBC news, sport and features from the East Midlands, or hear updates from Olympian @BeckAdlington, who grew up in the area
- Portsmouth: Keep up to date with Portsmouth University @PortsmouthUni new or follow @officialpompey for all the latest news from Fratton Park
- Sheffield: Follow Deputy Prime Minister @nick_clegg, MP for Sheffield Halam, or if politics isn’t your bag, what about the world famous @crucibletheatre?
Trends are automatically generated by an algorithm that identifies topics that are being talked about more right now than they were previously, so you can see the ‘most breaking’ breaking news rather than just what’s most popular. For more information on Trends, check out our help center.