This week is the UK & Ireland’s first ever #RestaurantWeek, a celebration of the restaurant industry on Twitter. As the second day draws to a close, here are a few tasty treats we have discovered so far:
1. Some Twitter users have unusual taste. @PizzaExpress asked people what toppings they’d like on their pizzas, and they’ve come up with some amazing creations: Hoisin sauce, crispy duck, goat’s cheese, leeks, spring onions, bangers and mash, or banana and pancetta, anyone?
2. How do you shuck an oyster? Here’s a six-second guide from @HixRestaurants:
3. The folk at @ASKItalian make a purrfect cup of coffee.
4. @Harrods has multiple restaurants, each more beautiful than the last.
7. One in two UK Twitter users has visited a restaurant based on a Twitter recommendation:
9. The folk at @DuckandWaffle use customer feedback from Twitter to refine their menu (and have some of the best views in London):
10. Sometimes a chef has to have a burger — a dirty big burger.
Sometimes a chef has to have a burger, a dirty big burger. pic.twitter.com/FEo9MODZNd— Richard Corrigan ( @CorrigansFood) June 2, 2014
Throughout #RestaurantWeek (June 2-8), more than 1,000 restaurants across the UK & Ireland are sharing behind-the-scenes updates, exclusive pictures, videos, news and updates with their followers. They are using the daily hashtags to join the conversation; see them here.
#RestaurantWeek is supported by the British Hospitality Association (@BHAtweets), OpenTable (@OpenTableUK) and the Restaurants Association of Ireland. Follow @TwitterUK for updates throughout the week and check if your favourite restaurant is taking part on this interactive map.
Click map to view larger